DofE Expedition Summer Schools (Walking)
Based at Scammonden Sailing Club, West Yorkshire
Academic achievement is a priority during teenage years, who knows what additional value can be added to a C.V. by working towards the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award?
Many schools offer the Bronze Award, some 6th forms and colleges offer Gold, but the Silver Award (15yrs+) is usually in the midst of GCSE’s exams and not favoured by schools seeking to maximise exam success rates. Completing the Silver Award significantly reduces the timescales required for the Gold Award.
We now offer a five-day comprehensive expedition package for Silver and Gold candidates, this includes all training and a three-day practice expedition. These residential courses will start Monday mid-morning and close Friday afternoon. All aspects of the expedition syllabus will be delivered by a DofE Approved Activity Provider, using qualified / experienced Mountain Leaders who are enhanced DBS checked, with a valid and relevant first aid certificate. Loan of group kit is included (tents and stoves). The Summer Schools are suitable for individuals or small groups seeking high quality, personalised expedition training.
- Arrive Monday mid-morning, allocate rooms, settle in, sort out paperwork etc. Introductions, lunch, maps and route cards, practical, tea, orienteering session.
- Tuesday: camp craft, equipment, stoves and cooking, emergency procedures, first aid, review of route cards and packing rucksacks for expedition.
- Wednesday: expedition departs with M/L for practical navigation day on the hill, camp overnight.
- Thursday: unaccompanied expedition, remotely supervised by M/L, camp overnight.
- Friday: unaccompanied expedition, returning to base, lunch, return group kit, de-briefing and development of personal action plans, travel home.
If a qualifying expedition is required, this will be discussed with individual candidates.
Cost will be a maximum £185 per person, this will depend on the actual accommodation used and the size of the expedition groups (min 5, max 7) and will be advised prior to your booking.
If you are interested, please enquire early. For more details please contact us.
|Running alongside the above course will be a five-day multi-activity water sports week, again based at Scammonden Sailing Club. Contact us for more details.|